Saturday

Jumping right in, both feet first.

I had toyed with the thought of writing a blog here. Not that I don’t already have a blog but, I generally refrain from writing about dating on it.

I created this a few days back but then found myself stymied with what to write. What I mean to say is, is this an entirely futile experience? Who’s going to read it?

Further, will it serve only to further limit my pool of potential mates by being perfectly blunt about dating and the surrounding issues dealing with meeting people over the internet?

Mmmmm...

Who knows?

Well, let’s start off by making a bit of a request. I don’t know how to do it, but if I could I would create a pool here if only to get other’s opinions about the whole internet dating thing.

Internet dating seems to have taken the place of the personal ad. Maybe that’s not an accurate statement though. Perhaps, internet dating would better be viewed as the personal ad but, just in online form.

The difference though between the personal ad and the internet is in you can conduct a dialog with someone much more rapidly than you ever could through the personal ads. Email, at the very least allows us to communicate with strangers without entirely giving up any of our privacy. It’s less intrusive than other means of communication.

Is it better though?

Further, is there some kind of framework for how that dialog should progress? I’m curious how others think because I’ve yet to entirely figure this out for myself.

How many emails back and forth before moving to the next step (phone) or is it just better to cut right to it and plan on meeting someone quickly to see if there is any of that magical chemistry everyone is always talking about?

Any suggestions? (1402 Views pre transfer)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

As your blog entry title says: "Jumping right in, both feet first"... then go with the flow. Everyone has a preference for moving from the "virtual" to the "real"... some want to move quickly to see if something "more" could come of it, some like to chat a while first and feel out the "inner" person more. It'll be between you and whomever... and FC's "two email exchanges minimum before sharing personal information" policy (though, there are ways around that, of course.)

Have fun! Blog away!

PJ said...

I agree with you, I had just wondered if there was some kind of standard for this thing. I've managed to meet quite a few people through the site but even so, I still am not entirely sure of what the correct decorum for these things is and if there is some kind of framework one is normally expected to operate within.

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the blogs. Whatever your reason for writing a blog here, I think it will increase the likelihood that people will get to know you.

Anonymous said...

"Standard", "normal" whatever it feels right for you. My preference is lets meet sooner rather than later. Email and phone create an illusion and ideal that sometimes isn't true.. Only when you meet in person do you know if there is chemistry.