Friday

I’m going in to delete all my emails today AND YOU PROBABLY SHOULD TOO!

Why?

Well, twice in the past two days I have lived other lives. That is two times too many.

What do I mean?

Well, something happened here that has never, ever happened to me before in all the years I’ve surfed the web (and that’s a lot of years people because I started surfing with Mosaic).

I logged into the site and yesterday I was a 40 something year old woman from Texas.

Today I was a 30 year old guy living in Manhattan.

I didn’t do anything special. I just logged in the way I normally do... as a matter of fact, I got a notice there was an email waiting for me today and when I followed the link I wound up logging in through someone else’s account!

Stuff like this?

It shouldn’t happen... ever.

I would send a message off to the mods but aside from them digging about in people’s emails and blocking people from communicating with me, I’ve found them to be almost entirely unhelpful.

I got a bit of a vicarious thrill, actually I got a chance to see how someone else approaches the whole online dating thing but none of this stuff is private - and people should know that. You should be aware that if you send your phone number or direct email address to someone via FC email, there is the very strong likelihood that someone you hadn’t intended to get your private information will gain access to it. Unless you delete the email you sent containing that information and the person receiving your email does the same.

A word of caution TO EVERYONE! YOU SHOULD BE AWARE OF THIS AND ACT ACCORDINGLY!

If it had been a one-off thing, I wouldn’t be as concerned but it has happened now twice in two days so, I know for myself as a precaution I’m deleting all those emails from people who have written me containing their personal info and if you have any respect or concern for the people you’ve come in contact with through the site you probably should too. (2707 Views pre transfer)

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

AND, this is not the first time it's happened. Around 6 months or so was the last time. I was a man from Switzerland last night. Plenty of others have mentioned this in the last couple days. This site be crazy, yo.

Anonymous said...

Happened to me too, OIY!

PJ said...

UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE!

Not only is this a standalone computer issue, I’ll go one better! I managed to log in via my BlackBerry and came into the site via another persons account!!!!

In that time I have been able to get their direct email address, the billing history on their accounts, the name on the credit cards used, the last four digits of the card number and the expiration dates on those card accounts.

I went into my own account and tried to remove that information but, IT WON’T LET YOU DO IT!!!

Three words sum up the situation, CLASS ACTION SUIT.

First I’m calling my credit card company just to be safe and then the next call after that is to my state’s AG.

Anonymous said...

Go back to entering through
your Original Portal.
It worked for me.

And, by deleting you E-mails,
you'd be feeding the FC monster.
You couldn't Reply to earlier missives.
You'd have to pay to originate new ones.

PJ said...

I’m not quite sure if you are understanding this - It’s not a question of whether or not a person is able to log into their account. It’s a matter of your privacy being violated and your personal information getting into the hands of people who could do anything with it. Including your billing history, email address, name and credit card info.

Aside from that as far as for female members (less so for male members) is the likelihood of phone numbers or other direct contact information they have forwarded to someone being available to someone else entirely opening them up to harassment.

Anonymous said...

If I can ever log back in as myself, I'll delete mine immediately. I'm currently not myself. But logging so anyone can see how weird this is. I always log in directly through the Fast Cupid site and never came in through one of the portals.

(I can see all of this guys emails that are in his inbox)

this is p.s.youoverthere

Anonymous said...

Simplyden just posted on my blog and she's a black man named Omar from Gambia. Funny at first. But after reading your suggestion I am going to delete e-mails pronto. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I just deleted all of mine. I keep getting logged in as someone else and also could see their emails, didn't read them though. Eeek.

Anonymous said...

wow -- the fc support staff didn't believe me...

PJ said...

I’m doing a bit of research because the whole FC customer service is totally lacking and I’m finding some interesting stuff out. I’m not a prude or anything but I wonder how many people realize FC is part of Penthouse.

If you have any questions, you can email me.

Anonymous said...

Who the hell is this "kioskfan"? What happened, I used to be a beautiful 18 year old female from Reseda? NOW I'VE GOT FACIAL HAIR. And worse yet what's this down here... This damn FC, I'll get you yet.

Anonymous said...

It just happened to me to. I went to the home page, logged off and then logged on as myself. I think it worked.

Anonymous said...

It just happened to me. Crap.

Anonymous said...

Odd....I had something similar happen here today but fortunately I caught it in time-I hope anyway.

Anonymous said...

Is there an attorney among us? Would love to know the legal options we have - PJ's comments about access to account information is right on the money and a cause for alarm. If nothing else, a nice note to the local BBB is in order.

Anonymous said...

I noticed that I have logged in more than once as the same different person. I killed my cache and hope it doesn't happen again. Might be a good thing for us all to go to cache and delete that too. (Look for your preferences (or options) depending on your system)

I've never been under any illusions about the security here. We should all be careful about sharing private information.

Anonymous said...

Yep...the gagster/hacker is on the loose again and changed my name to a creepy one...luckily I logged out to find my own account. I wrote to FC and they said to delete cookies and browser cache and that they were onto this problem....who knows though!!??

PJ said...

Yeah, that’s kind of a b/s answer.

See, the problem has been recurring, not just in the past few days but for months!

It’s a server side problem that F/C is not addressing.

Think of it like this: say you logged into your online banking, blog or some other site. You walk away and come back later going back to the site you were on earlier only to find you now have access to someone else’s bank account, blog or whatever.

The problem isn’t your browser, it’s not your cookie file, on the server side what is happening is the server is negotiating the connection with a limited number of variables causing you to log in as someone else.

This is something that should never happen and it is putting all F/C members at risk.