Sunday

Who called?

This week I was on my way home and someone called me.

I know it was another member, a possible dating candidate who was reaching out to me. This is extremely flattering.

However, my mind is a cluttered mess.

Really.

This particular day, I was on my way home after seeing the doctor to resolve the whole aforementioned ear issue. It was one of those hot days and I had been schlepping around the city. Schlepping around the city is fine and everything but add to that not feeling well and it gives you a pretty accurate picture of my state.

As it was EVEN WITH the heat and feeling crappy and all I had still walked from the village all the way up to midtown.

So, I’m on the train and the phone rings.

Now, the train is one of those blessed places where there should be at least some civility, or at the very least that’s how I view things. Maintaining that civility involves not having the very loud cell phone conversation to the consternation of all your fellow passengers around you.

Plus, it’s not exactly a private thing now is it?

There are times I have to restrain myself from adding to someone’s cell phone conversation when they abuse the privilege and regal the rest of us in the car with the minutiae of their day.

Most common element of any phone conversation I have heard while commuting?

“I’M ON THE TRAIN!”


Immediately my first thought is, ‘No shit Sherlock,’ followed by the ever popular, ‘Aren’t the rest of us lucky?’

I don’t want to be one of those people.

Plus the woman in question used her first name. Great if you don’t have anyone else in your life with the same first name? Then the confusion starts to set in especially if you’re tired.

So, this woman called and said, ‘Hi! It’s ********!’

My first thought was, ‘????’ followed by, “Oh, hi!”

If I’ve only emailed back and forth to you, chances are I still only think of you by your online handle so, unless you make a point of connecting the name with the handle the first few times... well, you’re s@#t out of luck (or at least I am because I won’t make the connection).

So I begged off (I was on the train) and said I would call back (because the cell phone captures the number and all that late in the evening) and when I did I got the trunk line for the place where the woman works. I don’t know her extension, I don’t know her last name and I haven’t heard a peep from her since.

Of course I have been dealing with my own ear situation.

So, just sayin’ if you called me last week... you might want to give it another go.

And if you are going to call me and we haven’t spoken? Be sure to give some background info the first few times out because again I have a very cluttered brain. (1271 Views pre transfer)

No comments: