Monday

A call to the liberal left.

So, I had the most interesting discussion tonight. Maybe I’m being a little facetious but not so much.

Tonight, I called someone who had given me her number through the website. I think we talked for about three minutes and in those three minutes she was able to determine I was not for her.

It’s more than a little off-putting.

Actually I find it offensive but more on that in a moment.

They say that politics makes for strange bedfellows, nowhere is this concept illustrated better than in the union of James Carville and Mary Matalin.

If opposites attract then certainly Carville and Matalin have proven that old saw as well because there is obviously a great chasm in their political views. Somehow though they manage to make things work.

So, getting back to matters at hand. Tonight I called a woman who had given me her number. Within the first few minute or two of the conversation she said the deal breaker would be if I was a Republican (which I am registered) and pretty much that was it.

I got off the phone and was done.

See, I think that the biggest problem in our country today is the very strong partisan lines that seem to be drawn in the sand by both political parties. These lines are polarizing in that they try to cast every issue in our country into a simple black or white.

That’s a problem and a big one.

By failing to recognize that there are subtleties to everything we encounter during our voyage on the planet, we remove the ability to compromise. There are no absolutes in our political landscape; there are no true ‘good guys’ or ‘bad guys.’

Somehow though, I think I may be an exception.

See, I don’t believe in voting entirely along party lines and I can’t say that I ever have. It simply doesn’t make a lot of sense to me.

Consequently, there have been several occasions where I have voted for a candidate that was on the Democratic line. As a matter of fact in the upcoming election I am swayed to cross party lines - strongly (and if you don’t believe it, I do have another blog where I’ve written at great length about that very topic).

I can’t say I’ve ever voted for Junior either (although you would be surprised at the number of people who assume that is the case because of my party affiliation). I just didn’t like the guy and after 8 years I’m glad I didn’t vote for him. The Mother Jones article I read way back in ’99 pretty much nailed it spot on.

So, when I’m talking to someone who supposedly embraces the tenets of the Democratic Party and the liberalism that is purported to be part and parcel of the parties’ worldview, I find it amazingly ironic someone would be so entirely dismissive of me.

Of course the thing is, I’ve also gotten to a point in life where I can’t find it within myself to argue with stupid people. If you are that intellectually stunted where your world can be broken down into two camps, chances are no matter how much I try I’m not going to convince you that life isn’t a zero sum game.

And that goes for the Republicans out there as well as the Democrats. When we talk about what is broken in this country, I think we need to begin with the dysfunctional political rhetoric that we engage in. If we truly want our country to be a better place we had better start trying to listen to the arguments that each side would offer up and then work towards an acceptable solution to both parties.

But then, maybe I’m too much of an optimist and living in a fantasy world. (1337 Views pre transfer)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

The idea is to polarize the masses, which leads to disorganization, which leads to masses of sheep who can't think for themselves.

Anonymous said...

What slug said...

Anonymous said...

I am a left wing atheist, but the happiest relationship I ever had was with a man who believed in Jesus and was a conservative.

Political affiliation and religion are not a barrier to human relations of any kind, as long as there is mutual respect and tolerance.

Of course, neither of us was trying to convert the other, and this is how we made it work. I have learned a lot about tolerance and understanding this way, and I am sure he did too.

Anonymous said...

I see what you're sayin', but... I gotta say,

If a man's:

Anti-choice
Anti equal rights for gays
Pro drilling in ANWR
Anti environmental regulations & enforcement
Anti strong fiscal support for health care, education, housing and food subsidies

etc, etc, etc.

I don't think we'd have enough in common in terms of world-view to ever be compatible as romantic/life partners.

PJ said...

See, that’s the funny thing. I can understand what you’re saying but, it’s the assumption that someone falls lockstep with the party on every issue. It’s just a very simplistic view of the world.

In my circumstance, I actually wind up playing devil’s advocate more often than not. By that, I mean to say I am ever amazed by the judgements people make entirely based upon party affiliation. It’s something that has allowed the extreme wings of both parties to hijack the discussion.

Beyond being polarizing, it’s also something that is setting back progress in our nation.

I was going to start to talk about presidential politics but I am stopping myself because of just how far off the rails things can go if the discussion steers into those waters. I will say though one of the things I liked most about the debate Friday night was the fact that Barack Obama was able to concede there were things he felt John McCain was right about. In that one moment, he showed the true spirit of bi-partisanship ironically something his opponent is said to embrace but doesn’t seem to at all.

Ultimately though, I don’t think things in our nation will get better until we can engage in a discussion without rancor or insults.

In the meantime, as far as the person in question goes and just the dynamic - I can’t say I want someone who agrees with everything I believe or say or do. I’m not that conceited. Then again, I can’t be with someone who doesn’t allow for other opinions, nobody is right all the time.

Anonymous said...

Quoting gardencat1965:
I see what you're sayin', but... I gotta say,

If a man's:

Anti-choice
Anti equal rights for gays
Pro drilling in ANWR
Anti environmental regulations & enforcement
Anti strong fiscal support for health care, education, housing and food subsidies

etc, etc, etc.

I don't think we'd have enough in common in terms of world-view to ever be compatible as romantic/life partners.

My guy was conservative, but not on those issues.

Anonymous said...

I'm with Slug, too.

I rarely vote a straight ticket. I hold a wide variety of liberal views, but there are some fairly conservative ideals, too, and I am fiscally very conservative. I also tend to pay more attention to local affairs than the grander scale, and on that smaller scale either party's candidate can lean left or right. Funny how that is.

As far as a partner? I have close relationships with people in all sorts of camps. Those who truly believe in and champion individual intellectual freedom would make a good partner for me...the why of that is fairly obvious. Overall, looking at the married relationships in my family, few couples have similar views across the board, yet often discuss those views without scorn. To me that means that there is an appreciation of the other's ability and desire to think for themselves even in the face of disagreement. I can easily love that in someone, too.

Anonymous said...

I do alot of campaigning on the Left side and I love hitting the streets and knocking on doors. I don't like the idea of going alone for safety reasons and I find there to be something romantic about my potential guy right along with me. The idea of leaving my guy at the house while I go chase my dreams alone... not my kind of relationship. Or even worse, if he went with me to different events that are mostly left wing style- I'd hate to think he would probably be miserable. If a guy is a republican it means for me personally that its not going to work out and i'm not going to waste my or his time.

PJ said...

I can understand your point but, I just don’t see the world in such stark contrast.

This is one small step away from bigotry in a sense because you are making an assumption about a group of people totally based around your own preconceived notions. Life and people aren’t that simple.