Friday

My Bah Humbug moment!

Christmastime is here...

Well, at least that’s how the song goes.

A few days back I was flipping channels and landed on A Charlie Brown Christmas.

I hadn’t watched it in a long time. It’s so familiar, it’s one of those touchstones of youth. However, as clearly as I remembered it, the actual broadcast of it didn’t match up to what I remembered.

Maybe, I should clarify that.

The story is actually very good in a lot of ways. Simplistic, but the core message of it is wonderful and more than likely is a big reason it’s still in holiday rotation 40 plus years after its first broadcast.

The animation though, wonderful to me as a child, pales in comparison to animation of today.

The prism of memory though made the show golden and it was a reminder yet again of how memory can play tricks on one.

Right now, where I live it’s snowing. Well, I know it will bring a smile to many the prospect of a White Christmas but I hate the snow. I’m not fond of cold weather but snow is even higher on my dislike list because it comes with the promise of some backbreaking labor shoveling out after the storm departs.

So, I shake my fist at the sky and curse the flecks of white as they fall. Truly it is my bah humbug moment and all the while I am thinking about wonderful New Years past spent in the calmer climes of Florida. Memory’s rosy glow is unnecessary to make that look golden to me.

Nonetheless in the waning days of the year (and I believe my time on the site) I wish all a Happy Holiday. (1493 Views pre transfer)

No comments: